This past Saturday Brent and I helped with a Habitat Build that our church along with three other churches is working on. We had to be at the site at 7:30am so Rowen stayed with my parents on Friday night so he could sleep till his regular time. We came in on I believe the second week of the build so the house was already up and the dry wall was in but that was about it. There were about 30 people there so half went inside and the other half worked outside. Brent and I split up. He worked outside and I worked in. Painting was the task of our whole day.
The crew inside swept up all the drywall dust and gave the walls a good wipe down before we started to paint. The crew outside put up siding and hung shingles up under the overhangs as well as painting. I cut in and did the trim in the living and dining room. There were about 2-3 people painting in each room. It was a lot of fun to work together and help this family put their house together. The husband and wife were there working with us the whole time which I thought was cool! It was great to talk with them and hear about their story. They have 3 girls who are so excited about having their own bedrooms! It was definitely hard work but so rewarding.
We took a lunch break around 12 and got back to it when everyone was done. Inside, we painted a second coat throughout the whole house. And everyone outside kept doing what they had been working on. It doesn't take long to get things done when you have a big crew to help out! The habitat leader said that we had a great turn out. I feel like our church is really good about volunteering and helping out in the community and it feels really good to be part of a family with those loving qualities. Some folks from Harpeth Hills came too!
We got done about an hour early and my feet were super tired. I got to thinking about why and realized I only sat down for about 30 minutes while eating lunch. I was on my feet the other 6 hours. And everyone else was too! When Brent and I were leaving the site, we talked about how much fun we had and how it just feels so good to lend a helping hand. It feels so good to serve others and it's always a good time to fellowship with the other brothers and sisters in Christ.
I am looking forward to going to the dedication of the house in a few weeks and we look forward to another build in the future!







No comments:
Post a Comment