Monday, July 11, 2011

A sweet treat

I found a recipe a few days ago and decided that I needed to make it this past weekend...so I did! Brent and I are huge fans of Nutella so when I saw that one of the main ingredients was Nutella well, I was sure that it had to be delicious. Here is the picture of the cake:( mine looks nothing like this picture of a perfect cake! )


I didn't take the time to make mine look like a masterpiece but I'm sure it tastes that same....scrumptious :)

A few of the main ingredients:



I made the batter first which included...either 2 or 3 sticks of butter, eggs, buttermilk, flour, sugar, mashed up bananas, and maybe a few other things. I'll post the recipe at the end.


I poured the batter into 2- 8" cake pans

and baked them for 40 minutes...

The banana flavor is actually very light and I wouldn't have minded it tasting more banana-y! The recipe called for vanilla extract which I added but if I make this again, I will probably add a hint of banana extract for a stronger banana flavor. 


For the nutella layers, I mixed a whole container of nutella, milk, and powdered sugar together. I was in a slight hurry to put this all together b/c I wanted to taste it so bad but realized after the fact that if you chill the nutella mixture for probably 10 minutes or so, it will make a firmer layer and look nicer. Also, you cut both cakes in half to make 4 layers of cake. Once the cake is layered with the nutella mixture, the icing is spread on.


This is all the layers stacked up and covered with the cream cheese icing...which I made too! See, this isn't perfect but it tastes great! For the cream cheese icing, I mixed 8 oz of cream cheese and powdered sugar and maybe some more butter...there is A LOT of butter in this cake!! Like I mentioned with the nutella mixture, if you chill the cream cheese icing for a little bit, it will make it thicker and more than likely look prettier than mine. 


The finished cake! It's very sweet but oh so yummy! It was definitely worth making!

the recipe:

                     

1 comment: