Friday, July 20, 2012

Poor baby Rowen

Wednesday morning after Rowen ate breakfast we made a run to Dunkin Donuts so I could get some iced coffee! I have become quite a fan of Dunkin Donuts :) When we got back home and I got him out of his car seat, I noticed that he was pretty warm. I was thinking that he had just not cooled down in the car since we weren't in there that long plus his new car seat is very plush and fuzzy! So I just assumed his car seat was making him a little warm. He took his usual morning nap around 9:00am but instead of sleeping for an hour or so he slept for almost 2 and a half hours. At this point I was thinking something was not right...he NEVER sleeps that long. I went in and checked on him before he woke up and noticed that his face was a little pink and it looked like he was kind of sweaty. When he woke up, he was on fire! His face and neck were pink and his entire body even down to his feet was very hot. I immediately took his temperature and it was reading 103.8! I started worrying just a little bit plus he was very lethargic. Yawning and looking sleepy even though he had just slept for over 2 hours. 

Before heading to the doctor. This is not the look of a happy camper!

I called the doctor and they were able to get me in right away with a little bit of squeezing. They always take their temp and weigh them no matter what you come in for. Side note...he weighs 20 lbs 14 oz! The nurse took his temperature and it was 102.6 which is definitely a fever...anything over 100.4 is technically a fever but they don't start to really worry about the baby until the temp is 104 and over.  Dr Brady checked him out and everything looked pretty normal until she checked his throat. She said it was "flaming red". Which I knew couldn't be good! He got swabbed for a strep test and they pricked his toe to check his white blood cell count since he was being very lethargic. They did a quick strep test which came back negative and his white blood cell count was fine. Sooooo she said it was a virus and we just needed to get his fever down by giving him Tylenol and Advil...at different times of course! They gave him a dose of Motrin before we left and she just told me to watch him at home and make sure he was acting normal and also to call if anything like a rash turned up on him. 

Resting :)

When we got home all he wanted to do was lay on my lap and watch cartoons. I was ok with that! Love snuggling with my boy but hated that he was sick :( 

I did know that he had a smidge of enery b/c he had enough to laugh at the cats...


Around 5:30 he still had a fever of 102.6 so Brent called Dr Brady and she said to give him some Advil and then again before we went to bed and then to wake up and check him/his temp around 2 or 3am! He was able to eat and drink just fine all day. Dr Brady wanted to make sure that he was able to at least drink so he wouldn't become dehydrated and I let her know that he was eating and drinking just fine. He had a hard time falling asleep and I think that's just because the fever was making him uncomfortable. He woke up every 2 hours during the night! Yea, we really got no sleep Wednesday night! But it's ok b/c we wanted to make sure he was ok and comfort him when he woke up sad. He woke up around 2:30am and I went in and checked his temp and it was down a little to 100.1. 

Yesterday morning when he got up I gave him another dose of Advil because his temp was still 100.1 and then I noticed something on his feet and then I noticed his legs! He had broken out in a horrible rash! 

His poor body was covered in these little tiny red dots

His leg

Up close of one of his legs

So I called the doctors office again and told them what was going on and they got us in within the hour. Dr Brady is off on Thursdays so we saw Dr Keffer. After looking at Rowen's leg for about 5 seconds he said "oh yea he has the coxsackievirus". This virus can cause hand foot and mouth disease and after looking at Rowen's throat not only was it still bright red, he had little tiny blisters on his throat as well. So he has the mouth part of the hand foot and mouth disease. The word "disease" makes it sound so horrible...it's really just a virus. There is no treatment for the virus so we just have to let it run it's course which could take anywhere from 7-10 days. The good news is that the rash isn't painful and it doesn't itch. It's just there! Dr Keffer started asking me if Rowen went to daycare...no, did he go to childcare anywhere like the YMCA...no, when I started to see where he was going I told him that Rowen goes to Sunday school class with 7-8 other babies. He said "ah ok" and he never said that's where Rowen officially got the virus but that's what Brent and I figure. Babies at this age including Rowen are just slobbery and that along with snot is how the virus is spread.  Rowen is actually doing so much better today. His fever is gone and he had all of his energy back even though he wanted to read a ton more books today while we rocked. 

He even enjoyed reading some books on his own :)

And we ran some errands together! If he looks a little drowsy to you, it's b/c it was just about his nap time! 

It's good to see that he is back to his fun self.

             


No comments:

Post a Comment