I've recently made 2 rag tie things for baby Isla's nursery and I thought I would share with y'all tutorials for each thing in case you might want to make one...even down the road sometime.
I made this rag tie garland a few weeks ago. It will eventually go over her crib. It was actually quite easy to make!
What you will need:
twine
strips of material( I bought 1 yd of each fabric & had extra left over of each one)
...that's it!
My garland is about 4 feet long. You can make it as long or as short as you want. And you want to use at least 3-4 different patterns/colors of fabric. I used 5. You can either cut your fabric lengths all the same or some a little longer than others.
Step 1:
You can lay your piece of twine on the floor but I found it easier to tie it to our shutters on one of our doors. That way it was tight the whole time and I didn't have to straighten the twine out as I went along. Either way will work though.
Step 2:
Start tying! Start at one end of your twine and start tying the fabric strips on, making a little knot at the top. I really had no order to mine. I just tried not to put the same fabric pattern next to each other.
And that's it! It's really that simple. It does take a little time and patience but the end result is so cute!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And yesterday I made a rag tie mobile...here is the tutorial for that:
What you will need:
2 metal rings or embroidery hoops -one large hoop and one smaller hoop
twine or fishing line
scissors
strips of material-a few different patterns/colors
{My larger hoop is around 10" and my smaller hoop around 6". I bought my hoops at Hobby Lobby}
Start with your larger hoop and tie your strips of material around the hoop till its all full. I just laid my hoop on the table to work with it. Repeat the same thing with your smaller hoop.
Now comes the tricky part of the project...attaching your two hoops! Lay your larger hoop down and spread the fabric out of the way...as much as you can. Next, lay your smaller hoop in the middle of the larger one. I tied my smaller hoop to my larger hoop with 3 pieces of twine( equally apart from each other ). It took a couple tries to get the smaller hoop hanging right where I wanted it. Just a trial and error kind of thing.
{looking down on the two hoops}
Lastly, tie a piece of twine to the top hoop and hang it where you want it!
{I'm not leaving mine on our kitchen light fixture!}
Hope these tutorials help if you find yourself wanting to make a shabby rag tie decoration.



No comments:
Post a Comment