Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Tutorials on my latest DIY projects!


I'm linking up again with Lauren @Life Love Lauren to share my Tuesday Topic & With Helene for Tell Me About It Tuesday!
  10 Day Challenge Link Up

Before I share my "Tuesday Topics", I'm going to share some How-To's on some of my latest DIY projects that I have posted. I had a few of my blogger friends request that I post some tutorials so here ya go!

I made these tins and gave them out to family members on Thanksgiving. I actually got the idea from a cooking show that I watched on Food Network a while ago...Dylan( Ralph Lauren's daughter )from Dylan's Candy Bar did a little how-to on decopaging a tin on Barefoot Contessa and I thought..."hey, I can do that!" So I did. It was super easy but took a little time. 
1. You will need a tin, some Mod Podge, a foam brush, and several different colors of tissue paper. This would be a really cute Christmas project!
2. Instead of cutting my tissue paper, I just ripped it into different size pieces. I liked the look of the tin having different size pieces when I was done with it.
3. Spread a thin layer of Mod Podge over the top of your tin and start placing tissue paper pieces all over. It's ok if there is some of the tin showing b/c after letting the first layer dry for about 10 minutes, you go back and place another layer of the paper over the first layer. After that second layer dries...about 10-15 minutes, give the tin one more layer of just Mod Podge. This seals everything!
4. And there's your finished tin! I added a turkey felt sticker just for a little something extra!

 Y'all this is so easy and took about 2 minutes per jar!! My granny is a canner so I have about 200 of these mason jars! If you don't have a mason jar @ home, I know that they sell them at Walmart and at Kroger. This is such a fun project!

1. You will need a mason jar( or some type of jar ), Mod Podge, a foam brush, painters tape(masking tape would probably work as well), some glitter, and a paper bag or something to cover your counter/table/work space.
2. Lay the paper bag under your jar. Wrap a piece of painters tape around the jar. I taped my jar about 2/3 of the way up. It just depends how far up you want the jar to be covered in glitter. 
3. Once the tape is on your jar, spread a thin layer of mod podge below your tape. It's ok if it gets on your tape!
4. Now just start shaking your glitter all over the mod podge. See, so easy!!
5.Fold your paper bag and slowly our the excess glitter back into the jar.
6. After about 20 -30 minutes, unwrap the tape and voila!
7. You have a glitter jar!! 

This one is super quick and easy too! I saw some glittery pine cones on Pinterest in a bowl on someones coffee table and just had to make some for myself!!
1. You will need mod podge, a foam brush( just fyi, you can rinse mod podge out of your foam brush and use it over and over once it dries! ), glitter, a paper bag, and a pine cone or two or three( I gathered mine from some pine trees we have at church )! 
2. Hold the pine cone by its stem and brush the mod podge over the scales. You can get a little on one and a lot on another. It really doesn't matter. It looks good regardless. I worked in sections. 
3. After a section is mod podged, sprinkle it with glitter. Do this till the whole pine cone is covered in glitter. Gently shake excess glitter of annnnddd....
4. A glittery holiday pine cone! 

These are hanging over our kitchen sink and I also have about 10 on a silver tray in our dining room. 

If any of y'all decide to make some of these DIY projects, you will have to share! I would love to see others finished projects!!

Today's "Tuesday Topic"...
Show Us Your 6 Favorite Instagram Photos!
Capitol Christmas 2012

Rowen's favorite place to be...in the swing @ the park


Shooting guns on Thanksgiving


 Our new hardwoods


Santa 2012


The hubby and me

Instagram name:
 roo615
Follow me HERE!
or just search for roo615 on your Instagram app!









13 comments:

  1. Hi
    If you are still interested in Co Hosting one of my Blog Hops please send me an email to northernbeautyblog@gmail.com & i will be in touch with dates etc.
    Thanks
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. sooo fun, thanks for sharing your crafty ways!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, new follower from the Mingle Monday Blog Hop over at Life of Meg. That glitter jar is awesome, I love it! :)

    xo,
    Kristin
    aboutagirl.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the glitter jars!
    Jamie
    http://chatterblossom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the glittery jars! I glittered some pine cones this weekend myself - for a bowl on my coffee table. Except I used spray adhesive and got it all over my fingers. I'm STILL peeling glitter off me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from the link up! Your little Rowan is so cute! I love that picture in the swing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there. I'm hanna and I found you on the blog hop!!!! Your blog is fantastic! I love making new friends!!! I'm your newest follower, please come by anytime www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!! xoxoxo Hanna

    I LOVE that glitter jar and you and the hubs are the cutest!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the tutorials! I decided I am going to make a soap dispenser out of the mason jar I won, and am going to try to make another one :D I love anything mason jar or anything glitter, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the glitter! That is a good idea! I love your blonde hair in the pics! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all of your projects with glitter! So cute! Thanks so much for linking up to the Craft Yourself Crazy link party!

    Chloe
    http://rainbowsandhoneysuckle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please share your projects at www.creativecraftsthursday.blogspot.com each and every week and check out what other creative divas are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the tin idea! I'm always making cookies for others and hate passing them on in these boring tins! Thanks for linking up to us at Creative Crafts Thursday. See you next week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have some things I'm about to glitter up! Your jars look great, Rachel! Thanks for coming over and strutting your stuff.

    ReplyDelete